IETM or Interactive Electronic Technical Manual is a digital technical manual that can be crafted to meet a specific electronic medium, Viz. PDF, HTML, web, e-book, and more. An Interactive Electronic Technical Manual is intended to be the functional corresponding of a paper-based Technical Manual and, in several cases, a total replacement for the paper manual. It is quite different in that it can be displayed on an electronic device of some type and has been redesigned to take benefit of the electronic medium, and it is connected with the computerized control system. It is formatted for the electronic display screen, with more focused details being presented to a user at one time.
The electronic display allows characteristics not readily available in the paper medium, including displaying a certain graphic or part of a graphic connected with a text statement whenever that text is showcased. This is effective in that the typical thing can be used to reference a graphic in a paper manual. Interactive Electronic Technical Manual can be designed to be interactive with the user, requesting details from the user and, based on that input figuring out what details to display next. By this, the Interactive Electronic Technical Manual can effectively guide a user via a method in a way that paper can’t.
Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals are:
- Created in a flexible, dynamic, and automated authoring platform.
- Meet an electronic window display, formatted for the display screen
- Focused details being presented on the basis of user or role
- Content layout is not page dependent
- Optimized for effective navigation and fast retrieval of information
- Assured maximum widespread
Here are some of the key benefits that lead to better service information
- Huge cost-cutting in holding, informing or storing technical details
- Timely availability of reliable knowledge
- Eliminated need for costly trained manpower
- Accessibility of details from anywhere
- Precise fault diagnosis with faster repairs
- Economizing on storage space
- Portability of information
The technical details within the IETM are so organized that user access is eased to a great extent. Technical data architecture can be made based on unified details in such a way that a user can increase access to any details via various paths. Details may also be inquired using integral dynamic search.
To be called an IETM or Interactive Electronic Technical Manual, the technical Documentation must have wide provision for the authoring action to comprise authored interactive structures into the Interactive Electronic Technical Manual (e.g., dialog for getting data from a user, prompts, alternative branches which the user must choose).
S1000D is an international XML specification that is the part of the family of S-Series ILS specification for the production as well as procurement of technical publications, including defense, aerospace, and capital-intensive equipment applications. It helps to standardize data across aircraft manufacturers as well as programs in order to facilitate enhanced maintenance and logistics. It makes the reuse of data easier and more efficient.
Here are some reasons to convert content to S1000D:
- Eliminate data sustainment costs as you are handling smaller as well as less repetitive chunks of data.
- It can be published across several vendors and publications.
- Smaller data modules can support data reuse, reduce accuracy, and offer quicker change cycles.
- It offers a detailed system breakdown and allows a machine in order to understand what type of file is about simply by analyzing the DMC.
- Deliver the capability to create data repositories for part numbers, warnings, special tools, caution, and so on. It means you can maintain this important data in one location.
- Global standard that can be used throughout the industries.