The digital revolution continues with frightening pace, as new tech becomes available, creating new industries and expanding existing sectors, making this a very exciting time to be alive. In the short space of 50 years, we have revolutionised society in so many ways, especially with the following aspects.
- Communication – The older readers will remember the days when having a telephone in your home was the talk of the neighbourhood, yet now we can have a video call with someone on the other side of the world. We have global satellites that give us Broadband Internet, and using VoIP technology, we can communicate effectively online, which has been extremely useful in the current Covid-19 pandemic.
- Shopping – The days of meeting up with friends at the local shopping mall have been replaced by e-commerce. Today, you have everything from personalised baby gifts by CMC Gold to a new Tesla car, and due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, more and more consumers are turning to online shopping. Some business gurus are saying this could be the beginning of the end for the traditional high street retailer, as they simply cannot compete with the online store as far as prices go.
- Automation – This has steadily developed over the years, and with the 5G roll-out comes the Internet of Things (IoT), which will be a platform for every single digital device on the planet. AI will play a major role in the IoT and this will change your life in many ways; driverless vehicles will be controlled by AI data centres, and in theory, road traffic accidents should be a thing of the past. If you are interested in machine learning, here is an informative article on the topic.
- Robotics – Robots have been making things for a few decades already, yet we are now moving into fully automated manufacture, and merging this with AI provides the potential for designs that humans could never have dreamed up. The robotics industry is making great use of nanotechnology, producing machines that can carry out a wide range of tasks.
- Healthcare – There are 100s of smartphone apps that will monitor your health, and AI is being used to diagnose X-Ray images, which is fantastic. Healthcare has become much more accessible to everyone, thanks to digital technology, and we are all seeing the benefits from that. While on the subject of health, here is the latest Covid-19 update from the Australian government, which you should check every few days to see if things change where you live.
Where does all this technology lead? Well, with medical advances, we will live longer, have far fewer accidents, and according to Elon Musk, humans will integrate with AI to evolve our species to another level. It is certainly an exciting time to be alive, and while this sounds great, we do have to be very careful with AI, otherwise it might be the very last thing that humanity invents.