More than millions of students are trapped in the education system that doesn’t get along with them in today’s world. Our education system was not designed to accommodate students who are disabled or specially-abled. Different disabilities like cognitive, communicative, cognitive, intellectual, and many more make students’ lives isolated. Our education system makes them marginalized groups and causes typical stereotypes. But all the students with any kind of disability can work beyond what they are offered in education. Many disabled students cannot secure a job because of their challenges due to social norms and myths. Hence we should make policies in such a way that they face no discrimination.
Specialized workforce for students in academics
A specialized workforce academies students with disabilities and helps them in many ways. Special education determines the student’s ability and helps them with job training programs. In such programs, the students can go for training or some internship to prospective employers. Although in history, specialized programs faced a lot of disagreement since its policies were involved in separating the disabled students from their peers.
Why do we need a massive transformation?
Many disabled students face lots of challenges when it comes to getting a good company job. Different students do face challenges when they disclose the disability to prospective employers. Also, they face issues in asking for adjustments during the job application process. There are hurdles like the psychometric tests, dealing with unprepared employers, and tackling the stigma and prejudice.
Different barriers that graduates face with disabilities.
Many barriers prevent disabled graduates from getting secure graduate employment. However, many critical factors play a significant role in reducing graduates’ chances of securing a job.
- Services are designed specifically for people who are disabled but still face many issues like the following.
- They lack recognition, and the coworkers exclude them because of their disability.
- Specialized employment services are relatively less, and they lack experience.
- Specialized employment is not collaboratively working with the education sector to help a specially-abled child a job.
What are the different things that specially-abled graduates do during the transition period of education to employment?
For different graduates and students, there are other needs, and it does vary. However, one should be aware of it to help them respond to individual needs.
A Disabled Graduate should do the following things.
- One should try to get information on disability-related programs, activities, and services.
- They should gather information on disability programs, activities, and services.
- It should support and adjust access to written resources.
- The assistance should be given to tertiary career services.
How can tertiary education career services help, especially disabled students?
Tertiary education career services help specially-abled students develop generic skills such as career planning, interview preparation, and resume writing. Free career counselors offer such services. There are many services that specially-abled children can take for building careers in HE. Several institutes and the HE sector can assist students to gain maximum work experience while they study.