What are the Effects of Social Isolation?
1. Social isolation can significantly raise an individual’s risk of premature death from all causes. This rivals the risks of smoking, obesity, and physical inactivity
2. Social isolation was associated with a few of fifty percent increased risk of dementia.
3. Poor social connections (indicated by social isolation or loneliness) was linked to a 29% increased risk of heart disease and a 32% increased risk of stroke
4. Loneliness was associated with higher rates of depression, anxiety, and suicide
5. Loneliness among coronary failure patients was associated with almost 4 times increased risk of death, 68% increased risk of hospitalization, and 57% increased risk of emergency department visits
How do you Manage Social Isolation?
Volunteering is often an excellent way for us to offer back to our community, put our skills to use, share our gifts with others, and meet new people. If you’re curious about volunteering, start by visiting an area school, the faith-based community, welfare work agency, or senior care organization or volunteer agency to inquire about volunteer opportunities.
2. Engage in social clubs, faith-based groups, etc.
These groups are often a superb avenue for connecting with others while sharing an interest, belief, or hobby together. It’s going to be overwhelming for us to locate a club or group, so we will start by reading our local newspaper, finding out flyers posted throughout the community, or asking friends or family for recommendations. Additionally, Connect2Affect is a web resource that permits us to look for organizations and resources within our postcode.
There are several ways technology can manage social isolation. This will be accomplished through video chatting, corresponding through email, or communicating with friends and family through social media, just to call a couple of. Technology can often be intimidating, but there are community resources available to help. Ask your local senior center or library to ascertain if they provide computer classes to assist get you started.