Over the recent years, most of the homeowners found that a flat roof is luxurious and space-saving because it creates convenient space for the installation of the HVAC system. However, it makes it simple to carry out roof repairs and maintenance. But keep in mind that flat roof is more prone to damage as compared to others.
It is not strong enough to face heavy rainfall. So it not pleasant news if your flat roof starts leaking. You have to determine the cause of the leakage and make the necessary flat roof repair steps to prevent moisture causing hazards such as flooding and rotting. Here in this article, we are going to discuss all the vital aspects of how you can stop your flat roof from leaking.
What are the reasons for causing flat roof leaks?
Some factors like old age can be the main reason for causing flat roof leaks. However, some part of your roof will deteriorate and allow rainwater to infiltrate your building if your roof is old.
Most of the cases, leakage begins from plumbing stacks, vents and at the edge of the roof. Here we are going to discuss some more causes of leaks on the flat roof.
- If water is standing on your roof for more than 48 hours after heavy rainfall, then it will lead to water leakage.
- It can be susceptible to damage due to water pooling if your flat roof is of a single-ply membrane. On the other hand, if your roof is of the comprised membrane, then it will allow water to enter the insulation and causing more leakage.
- Flat roofs are prone to leaks around the areas where it rises just like a slopping roof. However, these structures include pipes, gas lines, vents and other building materials.
So here we discussed some causes of flat roof leaks that will help you to determine the damage and make the necessary flat roof repair steps on time. If you cant identify the leaks when they are small, then the damage will become chronic and leads to massive hazards.
How can you stop your flat roof leaks?
Firstly, you have to take an inspection of your flat roof to determine the cracks and leaks. However, identifying the small splits on time is going to helpful for preventing massive damage.
In most of the cases, it seems that if there is debris left on your roof for long, then your ceiling will start leaking. The trash will block the drainage system and prevent the water from flowing out of your house. So make sure that you clean your roof regularly.
It is vital to inspect the drainage system from clogging. You can put a metal pipe inside the drainage system to check the blockage. If sounds come from the drainage system, then there is some debris stuck inside.
Here are some long-lasting ways to prevent leakage.
- You can add flashing on your roof to stop leakage around chimneys and vents.
- You can use a rubber membrane on the top of the shingles to prolong the lifeline of your old and deteriorating roof.
Why you have to work with a professional roofer?
If the leakage problem is massive on your roof that you can’t handle, then contacting a professional roofer is one of the best options. It is vital to consult a contractor to inspect your roof to make the necessary repairs.
However, they are the expert in this field and know how to work professionally. So now contact a roofing expert to get an inspection of your roof to prevent future leakage.
The purpose of this article is to provide you with some flat roof repair steps to stop it from leaking. However, determining the cracks on time is a vital step to prevent future water damage.