Deaths are always difficult for families, but they can be devastating when caused by the negligence of another person. Wrongful death happens when a person’s death is directly due to the wrongful act or negligence of a person or company.
Wrongful deaths can be caused by many factors. If you lose a loved one due to the carelessness or negligence of another person or entity, it is important to hire the best wrongful death lawyers. You may be entitled to substantial compensation for your loss.
Common causes of wrongful death cases are:
- Car accidents: These are the most common causes of wrongful death in the US. Most car accident deaths are due to the negligence of at least one driver, whether the cause is speeding, reckless driving, distracted driving, falling asleep, or DUI. If your attorney can prove any of these factors in a lawsuit, you may be entitled to compensation. Also, if the accident was caused by road problems, the county or city could be liable.
- Medical malpractice: Most doctors and nurses are highly skilled, but mistakes occur. If it can be proven that the medical professional did not adhere to the standard of care necessary, you may be entitled to damages in a medical malpractice wrongful death action. The most common causes of wrongful death are misdiagnosis or failure to diagnose a condition. Mistakes during surgery also are common reasons to file suit.
- Defective products: If a person loses their life because of a defective product, the manufacturer of the product may be sued for wrongful death. Product liability is why manufacturers spend a lot of time and money testing products to ensure they are safe.
- Work accidents: Workplace fatalities are most common in manual labor and construction jobs. But they can happen in other occupations. One recent wrongful death case was a nurse who was ordered to work several 12-hour shifts and died in a car accident on the way home because she fell asleep.
- Tractor-trailer accidents: Big rigs are much larger than other vehicles, and collisions with these 80,000-pound trucks are often fatal. Wrongful death lawsuits are often successful against truck companies because of issues such as oversized loads, mechanical problems with the truck, and driver error.
- Pedestrian accidents: Auto accidents with pedestrians are more likely to result in death because the pedestrian is completely exposed to the violence of the collision. Driver negligence causes most pedestrian deaths, but the city or county could be liable if the driver could not see the walker because there were no visible pedestrian walkways.
Be sure to hire the best wrongful death attorney you can find if you lose a loved one due to the negligence of someone else. You may be entitled to financial compensation for your emotional suffering, loss of companionship, medical bills, and funeral costs.